The Story of my Chevelle
This was the car day 1 after removing it from the trailer. The car was exceptionally solid having lived most of its it life in Montana where it was involved in a minor accident involving the right front fender bending the upper right control arm. The car was aquired by a couple of older gentlman who were collecting Camaros and Chevelles and was warehoused for around 22 years in dry storage with the 31 other cars.
First part aquired was a L79 LS2 and 6L80E 6 speed transmission featuring Sport and full manual modes for shifting.
The Drivetrain came from a 2008 Pontiac G8GT (rebadged Austrailian Holden).
I swapped the oil pan, baffle and oil pickup, repaired 3 broken exhaust studs.
The L79 is an aluminum block 6 Liter with LS3 aluminum large oval port heads, LS3 Intake and throttle body.
First order of business was to replace most of the front end linkages to make the car safe to test drive. I planned on testing and tuning and repairing all of the drivetrain componenet to be sure they were sound and a good package to sell to someone else for their Chevelle project.
So after the engined was tuned, valves adjusted and new gaskets installed everywhere oil was leaking on the engine and the transmission it was time to get it out of there and make room for improvments
After a couple of days with a die grinder and scotch pads the 15 layers of old paint, grease, battery acid stains and just plain dirt the engine bay way almost ready for improvment. I did the inner fenders first in the car so they were more stable to work on. They were then removed and the underside and remaining hidden edges were stripped.
After the front saddle was removed I again dove into the
frame rails and firewall to get all the crappy greasy stuff off of them. I
could have done like most smart people and had it stripped by blasting but I
have delt with fine blasting sand in every conceivable crack and crevasse
before and I was retired at the time, so I had plenty of time to devote and
would rather spend time so I had more money in my budget for goodies.
Jeep Grand Cherokee close ratio power steering box, 3 turns lock to lock. as it arrived from LKQ. a huge improvment from the Armstrong manual steering box from the factory.
After thourogh cleaning and scrubbing I disassembled the entire box for a much deserved rebuild.
Do not know the milage on this box but it was in pretty good condition upon inspection so I just replaced all the gaskets and seals, refinished the outside.
Next came the OEM Camaro disk brake spindles, stock height. Disk brake spindles have a heavier upper Boss than the drum brake parts.
Spindles were sand blasted and primed then painted with high temp engine paint.
BIG dIsk brakes are in the works awating for them to arrive
My rear carrier came from a Buick Grand Sport. it is known as a BOP rearend. These differ from the corporate rearend made by Chevrolet in a few ways. They do nort use "C" clips to retain the axles but use retainers on the axle ends, also the axles are not tapered like a Chevrolet axle., 1350 Ujoints were standard on these units. They use the same Pinion as a 12 bolt but a different ring gear. It has held up very well behind my 425 horsepower LS motor. As I am now adding an LSA supercharger we will see if it can take the additional 1/3 power.
i disassembled every part of the housing and the ring and pinion as well as the Posi unit. everything was replaced with new and Dennys Auto Center setup the lash. everything was treated with Phosporic acid, rinsed and treated with POR15, scuffed and repainted . all new Poly bushings, bearings and cones were installed